By Alan E. Freedman
(July 16, 2021)
“Everything is energy and that’s all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics” – Author Unknown
The human mind, on the one hand, is capable of aligning us with and being the window to, the achievement of our highest, most worthwhile desires, literally those of inestimable value. That’s the good news. On the other hand however, it has the ever-present potential to keep us right where we are now, to arrest us, distract us, to be the catalyst for us to experience fear, anxiety and depression. It can literally rob us of what we were uniquely created for and replace it with a life of mediocrity at best! The difference between the two extremes rests in one word – NOW!
If we could measure the amount of time every day that we spend (not invest) entertaining these uninvited unconscious thoughts in our minds, this distraction from what we ought to be focusing on, we would be astonished. This noise that relentlessly attempts to permeate our every waking hour and to rob us of our Divinely intended inheritance is an illusion. It’s a never-ending motion picture playing on the screen of our mind, starring every experience and emotion we have ever been exposed to, wanting us to believe it’s true, that it represents our past and our future. Listen carefully…it’s not real! It’s a motion picture. The only reality is NOW!
You have the power to focus all your time, talents and treasures on controlling all that you can, right NOW and investing nothing where you don’t! You have it within your grasp to be the screen writer, the producer, the director and to play the starring role in the only motion picture of your life that matters…the best version of YOU!
There are so many benefits associated with living in the NOW. For example:
- It enables and empowers you to be fully present and alive in the moment. Over the years, I’ve had the matchless joy of being the PAW-RENT to numerous 4-legged angels. Needless to say, they, like me, were aging. I could have chosen to focus on “the movie”, moment by moment reminding me of the approaching dreaded day when I would help them to “cross over the rainbow” or I could be in the NOW with them, inhaling every precious moment – NOW. The same could be said of all of our cherished relationships. Don’t deprive yourself of the joy – NOW!
- It’s infinitely healthier on multiple levels. Emotions like fear, including fear of the unknown, anxiety, depression and others, all have a debilitating impact on the quality of life and our opportunities. Why would we suffer the adverse implications of entertaining these thoughts and the ways they can manifest, like heart disease, cancer, or simply robbing us of true joy and the blessings which surround us when it’s a motion picture…and a lie? The way the movie ends isn’t the way it needs to be. You can choose your emotions and your future by writing your own life story, by living in the NOW!
- It will overcome the notion that multi-tasking is a possibility. Respectfully, none of us can. The brain is thoroughly incapable of being in the NOW on two or more different tasks simultaneously! It’s a fact. All that happens is that we find ourselves doing more than one thing with lesser excellence than we would be doing it if we focused on one thing only – NOW! The results of being in the NOW will be palpable!
- We’ll cease the “accident waiting to happen” syndrome brought about by thinking we can safely drive our cars and talk/text on our cellular phone at the same time. It’s only a matter of when.
- It invites the life-changing power of being a deep listener to emerge. This is more, much more than simply hearing and being in the same room. It’s an art, a decision that doesn’t allow anyone or anything to breach the inviolable space you’ve created around you and the person you’re listening to. It not only hears, it feels and empathizes. It changes places with…It’s the ultimate in respect!
The life we are living right now is the sum and the substance of the choices we’ve made in the past. If we want to harvest different fruit going forward, we must sow different seeds, like living in the NOW!
What’s the takeaway from all of this? We must develop new habits. Aristotle said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence therefore is not an act, but a habit!”
Every time we become conscious of the uninvited mind chatter, the lie, the movie, we must change the channel…immediately. In time (not overnight), although the clutter will attempt to have its way for an extended period of time, its impact will progressively become less and less of a factor, so the real story of your life, the one that reflects your highest and best, can unfold.
So, get real and get – NOW!
Alan E. Freedman was born in Toronto, Ontario Canada and has been living in Arizona for 26 years. Alan is an Animal Advocate and has authored 3 books…The Walk, My Weekly Walk and I’m Every Woman. He is Podcast Creator and Host of Discovering and Living the Best Version…of YOU!