Camp Verde AZ (March 2, 2021) – Camp Verde Community Library and Camp Verde Marshal’s Office are partnering to raise awareness about attempted scams and financial fraud. Library staff ordered hundreds of paper placemats from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau which CVMO deputies will distribute to local restaurants during the month of March. This will coincide with a social media campaign reminding consumers of the many tricks scammers use to defraud them.
Join Wendy, Thursday, March 25 at 10:00 am virtually or in-person in the Library’s Founders Room for a presentation on how to recognize scams, phishing attempts, and financial fraud aimed at seniors. Attend in-person or via Zoom.
Meeting ID: 842 7670 3979
Scammers are constantly changing their tactics, looking for new ways to steal money. People can protect themselves by knowing what to watch for. The placemats and social media posts provide memorable tips to recognize potential fraud. During tax season it is especially important to know how to recognize scams that come along. Knowing the basic ground rules that the IRS follows can help you avoid many types of scams. Know that the IRS does NOT:
- initiate contact via email, text message, or social media to request your personal or financial information
- demand immediate payment using a specific payment method (especially not prepaid debit cards, gift cards, or wire transfers)
- demand you pay taxes without offering you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount
- threaten you with action from law enforcement
- threaten to revoke your driver’s license, your immigration status, or a business license
What to do if you or someone you know might be a victim of fraud or a scam:
- Contact Camp Verde Marshal’s Office by calling 928-554-8300
- Contact your state attorney general, Mark Brnovich’s office at 602-542-5052
- If the victim is an older person or a person with a disability, contact the Elder Abuse Prevention division of NACOG at 877-521-3500
- If you or someone you care about is the victim of a fraud, scam or financial exploitation, you can submit a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.
Camp Verde Community Library is located just off of Montezuma Castle Highway at 130 Black Bridge Road, Camp Verde AZ. For more information about this or any other library program, call 554-8380 during library open hours Mon-Sat 9:00a-5:00p.