Cornville AZ (January 4, 2021) – On Saturday January 2nd, 2021 at approximately 3:00 PM, the Verde Valley Fire District responded to the report of a Residential assignment off Page Springs Rd in Cornville.
VVFD was dispatched to the report of a fire in a yard spreading into the brush and threatening a structure. When crews arrived on scene, they found a large amount of fire in the yard spreading into some large cottonwood trees, threating a barn and burning up to Page Springs Rd.
Crews deployed hand lines and got a quick knock down on the fire before it extended into the barn and held it from crossing Page Springs Rd.
The property owners barn sustained minor damage from brief flame exposure. The fire was extinguished and mopped up with the use of hose lines and hand tools.
The cause of the fire was identified accidental due to the improper handling of hot ashes from a wood burning stove. No structures were lost in the incident and the fire was contained to vegetation only.
Cottonwood Fire and Medical and Sedona Fire District where dispatched to respond but were cancelled while in route due to a quick containment of the fire.
VVFD reminds the public that even though winter is settling in with its cold weather, the vegetation is still very dry and easily ignitable. Remember to use safe practices when cleaning out your wood stoves or fireplaces. Allow your coals to burn out completely inside your stove or fireplace and allow the ashes to cool before removing them. Place the Ashes into a container that is nonflammable and resistant to heat, then place the container in a safe location to continue to cool down. Allow them to sit for an extended amount of time before dumping them out. Remember to check to make sure the ashes are cold to the touch before dumping them out.
Verde Valley Fire District wishes everyone a Happy and Safe New Year.
If you have any questions, contact the Verde Valley Fire District by calling 928-634-2578.