Flagstaff, AZ (October 27, 2011) – Pending favorable conditions and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, fire managers on the Flagstaff Ranger District are planning to continue prescribed pile burns behind Little America tomorrow, October 28.
Eastside Project piles – approximately 30 acres of piles located near Fisher Point south of Little America. Smoke will be light and will disperse to the west with the forecast winds. Little to no residual smoke is expected, as piles are smaller and should be completely consumed by nightfall.
Prescribed fire activity is dependent on personnel availability, weather – including ventilation, and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
Fire managers continue to work hard balancing the critical need for reducing the risk of severe wildfires with the importance of minimizing smoke impacts to communities. The Coconino National Forest coordinates prescribed fire plans with the partners in the Ponderosa Fire Advisory Council (which includes local fire departments), as well as neighboring forests, to reduce the overall impact of smoke on communities.
The public can obtain prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescribed Fire Hotline: 928-226-4607
- Coconino National Forest Website: www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino
- Click on the Prescribed Fire Link to the right of the page
- Sign-up to receive regular email notifications:
- Choose “Southwestern Region”
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-526-0866