PANT Detectives investigate and shut it down – 4 Suspects Arrested
Cottonwood AZ (August 21, 2020) – During the second week of August 2020, detectives from the Partner’s Against Narcotics Trafficking Task Force (PANT) received information that 28-year-old Moriah Calhoun from Sedona was involved in the use and sale of methamphetamine and heroin along with a male by the first name of ‘Joel.’ Detectives identified the motel and specific room in the 800 block of S. Main Street, Cottonwood.
During follow-up, detectives received additional information confirming illicit drug activity at the motel, which resulted in the granting of a search warrant.
On August 13, 2020, in the early evening hours, detectives saw a silver passenger car leaving the motel after someone from the targeted room got into the vehicle. A Cottonwood Police Officer was able to conduct a traffic stop nearby and contacted the occupants including Moriah as the driver and her two passengers, 40-year-old Jason Stone and 27-year-old Nicholas Dubuque, both from Cottonwood. A Cottonwood Police K9 completed an exterior sniff of the vehicle and alerted to the odor of illicit drugs. Based on the alert, detectives searched the interior and found a ‘Monster’ beverage can in proximity to where Jason was seated. This can was actually a ‘hide-a-can’ (see photo) used generally to conceal valuables. When opened, detectives discovered about 20 grams of heroin in various baggies.
As the follow-up continued, Nicholas was found in possession of a syringe with heroin residue in a pants pocket and a piece of tin foil and a smoke tube, both with fentanyl residue, concealed in his socks.
The search warrant was served and when detectives entered the motel room, they detained 50-year-old Joel Deems from Cottonwood. No additional contraband was located. Joel admitted drug use but denied knowing about drug sales from the room.
During follow-up interviews –
- Moriah admitted to smoking fentanyl that day, acknowledged participating in drug sales by setting up deals, but denied knowing about the heroin found in the ‘hide-a-can.’
- Nicholas admitted to smoking fentanyl earlier with Moriah and denied knowledge of the heroin found in the vehicle.
- Jason admitted owning the ‘hide-a-can,’ but claimed not all the heroin was his.
All four suspects were booked into the Camp Verde Detention on the charges indicated below:
- Jason Stone – Possession of a narcotic drug for sale (heroin), Possession of narcotic drugs (heroin), and possession of drug paraphernalia (heroin related). Held without bond.
- Moriah Calhoun – Possession of a narcotic drug (heroin), Possession of dangerous drugs (methamphetamine), Promotion of prison contraband (meth found in her bra during booking), and two counts of Possession of drug paraphernalia (heroin and methamphetamine related) during the service of a search warrant at her hotel room. Held without bond.
- Joel Deems – Two counts of Possession of dangerous drugs (methamphetamine and Psilocybin mushrooms), and Possession of drug paraphernalia (methamphetamine and Psilocybin related). Held without bond.
- Nicholas Dubuque – Possession of drug paraphernalia (fentanyl related). Released pending further investigation.