Verde Valley News – Friends of the Verde River is pleased to announce Free Family Day during the Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival. Free Family Day is on Saturday, April 23 from 9:00am-1:00pm at Dead Horse Ranch State Park.
Join birding enthusiasts and nature lovers between the lagoons at Dead Horse Ranch State Park for a free day of family fun in nature. There will be activities and exhibits for the whole family to enjoy!
“On Free Family Day, you will learn about the river’s birds, bugs, fish, and habitats, so your children will leave inspired and ready to become future river protectors”, says Nancy Steele, Executive Director of Friends of the Verde River.
Join one of our free nature walks for the opportunity to participate in our 2022 Verde Valley Community BioBlitz sponsored by the City of Cottonwood. By helping to collect observations about the species you see along your walk. By recording the creatures and plants you see on your mobile device, you will help create valuable data that helps our habitat restoration experts understand changes in our environment and make decisions about how to keep the Verde River system healthy and flowing for generations to come.
Free Activities and Exhibitors:
- Guided family nature walks at 9am, 10am, 11am, and 12pm.
- Live Birds from Wildlife Game and Fish
- Skulls and Snakes on display
- Live Reptiles on display
- Watershed Board from Yavapai County Flood Control District on display
- Live painting from Syri Hall, 2022 VVBNF Winning Artist
- Vulture “Scavenger” Hunt from Tucson Audubon
- Jay’s Bird Barn
- Verde Valley Archaeological Society
- Pindrop Travel Trailers
- Entrance to the park will be free for attendees of the Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival. Please let the front gate attendants know that you are there for the free activities.
- Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase at the hospitality ramada.
- Free family nature walks will take place on the hour starting at 9am and ending at 1pm. Download “iNaturalist” on your smartphone before the walk.
To learn more, visit VerdeRiver.org/family-day.