Sedona News – The city of Sedona and contractor, Combs Construction Company, recently began work on the Uptown Northbound Roadway Improvements Project, with the goal of completing the project by March 2024.
The project’s purpose is to reduce the traffic congestion for northbound travelers on State Route (SR) 89A through Uptown by:
- Adding an additional northbound lane, between L’Auberge Lane and Forest Road.
- Removing and replacing the existing curb and gutter along the east side of SR 89A (between L’Auberge Lane and Forest Road).
- Constructing a permanent barrier for the left turn lane onto Forest Road.
- Converting the sidewalk along SR 89A into a new shared-use pathway that will be separated from the highway.
- Removing parking spaces along the northbound lane of SR 89A (between Forest Road and the Jordan Road Roundabout).
- Adjusting traffic signal timing to improve traffic flow.
- Installing new retaining walls, signage, landscaping and storm drain system upgrades along the project corridor.
Following completion of the work referenced above, sections of distressed pavement along the northbound lane of SR 89A will be removed and replaced (between the Jordan Road Roundabout and Art Barn Road). Please note that this portion of the work will likely occur in late summer 2024.
As part of the city’s Sedona in Motion program, this project will also help with traffic along SR 89A that often spills back to the “Y” roundabout and creates further congestion for both SR 179 and northbound SR 89A to Cooks Hill.
To complete this project as quickly as possible, the contractor will work during both day and night hours. Work may occur Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Please be aware of lane restrictions; temporary street, sidewalk and driveway closures; reduced speeds; rough road conditions; loud noise and flagging operations throughout the work zone. Driveway access will be maintained as best as possible, however, access may alter on a day-to-day basis with temporary closures necessary at times. The contractor will work to coordinate this work on an individual basis and will communicate alternate means of ingress and egress throughout the project.
Future communication will be provided via email updates. To receive these updates, send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org, visit www.uptownnorthbound.com or call the Project Hotline at (928) 852-4164.