UPDATE (October 19, 2011) – Due to lack of sufficient winds, fire managers have postponed the Fort Valley prescribed burn planned for today. Crews were anticipating winds that would help keep smoke out of Flagstaff. No prescribed burning is occurring on the Flagstaff Ranger District today.
Fire managers are tentatively planning to burn up to 490 acres in Hart Prairie (off Forest Road 794), pending favorable conditions and approval from the Department of Environmental Quality. Additional information to come this afternoon.
Flagstaff, AZ (October 18, 2011) – Crews completed ignition of 175 acres on the Woody Ridge Project today. Easterly winds are dispersing smoke to the west. Smoke will follow Sycamore canyon overnight and will likely be noticeable in western Sedona tonight and tomorrow morning. For tomorrow, Coconino National Forest fire specialists are planning two prescribed burns.
Ft Valley Project: Located north and west of Hwy 180 off Forest Road 164B, crews anticipate burning approximately 300 acres in increments of 100. Steady southwest winds in the forecast will continue to disperse smoke to the north and east around the San Francisco Peaks and through Schultz Pass. Drifting smoke will be noticeable on Flagstaff’s northern and eastern horizons. If winds become light, residual smoke will settle into Fort Valley and Rio de Flag.
APS Project: 500 acres located northeast of the community of Blue Ridge along Highway 87 across from Little Bly Pit. Smoke should disperse to the northeast toward Winslow.
Prescribed fire activity is dependent on personnel availability, weather – including ventilation, and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
The public can obtain prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescribed Fire Hotline: 928-226-4607
- Coconino National Forest Website: www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino
- Click on the Prescribed Fire Link to the right of the page
- Sign-up to receive regular email notifications:
- Choose “Southwestern Region”
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Local Ranger Stations: Peaks Ranger District (Flagstaff), 928-526-0866; Red Rock Ranger District (Sedona) 928-203-2900; Mogollon Rim Ranger District (Blue Ridge) 928-477-2255