Sedona AZ (May 3, 2018) – After consulting with local County Emergency Managers and District Rangers, it has been determined that effective Friday, May 4th, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. Sedona Fire District (SFD) is moving into Stage II Fire Restrictions.
These restrictions prohibit all open fires, fire pits and campfires. During the period of fire restrictions, no burn permits will be issued and existing burn permits are hereby suspended. Fireworks and other pyrotechnic displays are prohibited, unless permitted by the Fire Marshal.
These restrictions also prohibit the outdoor use of equipment that generates sparks or open flames. This restricts the outdoor use of welding equipment, grinders and chain saws. Commercial operators may apply for a hot work permit through the Fire Marshal’s Office.
Cooking on propane grills and the use of UL listed, natural gas or propane flame producing heating/warming appliances is still allowed provided that the appliance is located at least 10 feet from combustible materials. Cooking devices that do not generate sparks or open flames are allowed only at private residences so long as they are covered with a tight fitting and lid clear of all surrounding flammable materials.
THE FOLLOWING IS PROHIBITED THROUGHOUT THE ENIRETY OF THE SEDONA FIRE DISTRICT;
- Open fires or campfires utilizing solid fuels. (except using a device that is solely fueled by liquid petroleum gas (LPG) or liquid natural gas (LNG) fuels that can be turned on and off in areas that are barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device).
- Smoking (except within an enclosed vehicle or building).
- Using an explosive.
- Possessing, discharging, or using any type of firework or pyrotechnic device.
- Operating a chainsaw or any other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine from the hours of 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. (except generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator).
- Outdoor welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame without a hot work permit. Hot work permits shall be revoked during periods of Red Flag Warnings.
- Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order. (Does not include motor vehicles and is intended for things such as landscaping tools).
- Discharging firearms, air rifles, or gas guns (except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal or tribal laws or regulations).
- Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads (Vehicles must stay on open Forest Roads and cannot drive/park over any vegetation at any time).
Residents are encouraged to exercise caution and good judgment.
Sedona Fire District may establish additional requirements, up to and including the extinguishment of any fire, the revocation of any permit, and a ban on chainsaws or other equipment on a case-by-case basis to ensure the public health, safety and welfare.
Please contact Fire Marshal Jon Davis or Fire Inspector Rick Evans 928-204-8926 if you have any questions.