Sedona AZ (March 29, 2012) – The Sedona Historical Society will be hosting a dedication program for its new entry monument at Sedona’s oldest cemetery, the Schuerman Red Rock Cemetery on Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m. at the cemetery on Upper Red Rock Loop Road.
This project began when the Yavapai County Centennial Committee created a legacy monuments program in celebration of Arizona Statehood. The plan was to install engraved flagstone plaques that tell stories of local history in diverse communities across Yavapai County. The Sedona Historical Society decided to set one of these plaques into the planned new entry wall of the historic cemetery they own. The plaque tells highlights of the history of “Red Rock”, Arizona, the gateway from Oak Creek Canyon to the Verde Valley and home to the Sedona area’s first school in 1891, first cemetery in 1893, and first homestead patent in 1896. “Red Rock” was the seat of Oak Creek civilization long before there was a ‘Sedona’.
At the program, the Historical Society will honor the families with members interred there, donors who have made this new entry possible, and the county centennial committee. Yavapai County Supervisor, Chip Davis, will make brief comments at the dedication. Members of the public are invited to this open event, especially those with an interest in local history. The cemetery is visible from the roadway along Upper Red Rock Loop Road. For more information, call 928-282-7038.