Flagstaff, AZ (November 8, 2011) – Fire managers are planning two prescribed pile burns for tomorrow, Nov 9.
Eastside Project: 30 acres of piles located north of Flagstaff on Elden Lookout Road. Smoke should be lighter as piles are smaller, but will be visible from north Flagstaff. Smoke will disperse to the west, toward Fort Valley; some smoke may be noticeable in the Baderville and Lockett Ranches areas overnight.
Munds Park Project: 40 acres of piles located just south of Munds Park, approximately one mile east of I-17. Winds are predicted to be light; so smoke will settle in low lying areas and may be noticeable from I-17 and Munds Park.
Prescribed fire activity is dependent on personnel availability, weather – including winds and ventilation, and approval from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (www.azdeq.gov).
Fire managers make every effort to minimize smoke impacts to the communities while continuing to address the critical need to reduce the risk of severe wildfires around those communities. Tactics to keep smoke impacts as minimal as possible include cancelling burns when conditions aren’t favorable, finding alternative uses for the debris in slash piles, timing ignitions to allow the majority of smoke time to disperse prior to settling overnight, and burning larger sections at a time when conditions are favorable to reduce the overall number of days smoke is in the area.
In addition, the Coconino National Forest coordinates prescribed fire plans with the partners of the Ponderosa Fire Advisory Council (which includes local fire departments), as well as neighboring forests, to reduce the impact of smoke on the communities.
The public can obtain additional prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescribed Fire Hotline: 928-226-4607
- Coconino National Forest Website: www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino
- Click on the Prescribed Fire icon to the right of the page
- Sign-up for regular email notifications of planned burns:
- Choose “Southwestern Region”
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Local Ranger Stations: Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-526-0866; Red Rock Ranger District (Sedona) 928-203-2900; Mogollon Rim Ranger District (Blue Ridge) 928-477-2255