Sedona AZ (April 28, 2017) – On Thursday, April 27th at 11:15 a.m. Sedona Fire District was dispatched to a possible kitchen fire at a residence in the 1500 block of W State Route 89A. According to Fire Inspector Rick Evans, “The occupant was cooking with a pan full of oil when some of the oil splashed onto the cooking surface and caught on fire. The occupant tried put the fire out with a dish towel which caught fire in the process, and when that didn’t work, a bath towel was used but it also caught fire. When our firefighters arrived, they were able to put the fire out with a fire extinguisher but the residence was filled with smoke and had to be ventilated.” Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $1,000 and there were no injuries. A total of 12 fire suppression personnel responded to the scene.
This incident should serve as a reminder to all of us how to safely handle a cooking fire. Some important things to remember are;
- Never try to pick up the pan that is involved in the fire. The contents can spill out and cause the fire to spread and grow.
- Remove the heat from the pan by turning off the burner and gently sliding the pan off of the burner if it can be done safely.
- Smother the fire in the pan with a lid or cookie sheet. Never use towels, drapes, water, or baking soda.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher in your home and know how to operate it.
- Call 911 even after the fire is extinguished. We will respond to make sure that the fire is out and insure that it is safe to be in the residence.