Sedona AZ (January 13, 2018) – From January 27 through February 5, a unique figure exhibition of drawings, paintings, and other artwork, will be held daily from 10am to 5pm at the Sedona Arts Center Theatre Gallery. The Figure Revealed: Artists and Muse exhibit is intentionally set up to represent a studio setting. It features a collection of art, started in Sedona Art Center’s Monday life drawing sessions over the past four years by 16 regularly attending artists. The show highlights an array of styles, expressions, imaginative responses, and interpretations of the human form, which have been created by artists with various backgrounds and skill levels.
In addition to the informal display of art, there will be opportunities for the public to experience drawing the figure and to watch demonstrations. Featured during the opening reception, from 5pm to 8pm on Friday, January 26, there will be live contact improvisational dance inspired poses that the public is invited to sketch during a “draw-a-thon.” Attendees will be provided with paper and drawing supplies or they may bring their own. Performance artist/model Pash Galbavy and guest model Mark Stevens will offer 5 minute, “quick gesture” poses, that will be based on their work together as performance artists and contact improvisational dancers. Attendees are welcome to draw or to watch. February 2, during the First Friday closing reception from 5pm-8pm, some of the exhibiting artists, including Jim Menzel-Joseph, Charles DeLay, Patty Miller, and Greg Evans, will offer live drawing demonstrations based on the contact dance poses. At both events, there will be a “drawing” for a voucher for free admittance to a Monday life drawing group. Free food and wine will also be served. Musician Richard Salem will offer live music during both receptions.
• OPENING RECEPTION Draw-a-thon & Performance Art, w/ live music, Friday, January 26, 5-8pm
• EXHIBITION Daily, Saturday, January 27 – Monday, February 5, 10am-5pm
• CARVING THE PORTRAIT IN WOOD Demonstration, w/ Charles DeLay, Saturday, January 27, 1:30-2:30 pm
• GESTURE DRAWING Demonstration & Instruction, w/ Jim Menzel-Joseph, Saturday, January 27, 3-4pm, $5 to draw
• OPEN STUDIO LIFE DRAWING Groups, Monday, January 29 & February 5, 10am-1pm short poses, & January 29, 2pm-5pm long pose, $15/session
• 1ST FRIDAY CLOSING RECEPTION Demonstrations & Performance Art, w/ live music, Friday, February 2, 5-8pm