By Holly Epright, Executive Director
Sedona Main Street Program
Sedona AZ (March 7, 2015) – Come celebrate the 45th Annual St. Patrick’s Parade & Festival along Jordan Road on Saturday, March 14th. Both are free to attend and offer a wide variety of free activities from 10:30 am to 3 pm.
The Parade will begin at 10:30 am and make its way down Jordan Road starting at Jordan Historical Park to Mesquite Avenue. Bring your own chairs and set up along Jordan Road. Master of Ceremonies, John Conway is lending his skill for announcing the Parade entries from the judging stand on Jordan Road near the end of the parade route. A free Parade & Festival Event Program will be distributed that morning along the parade route and will also be available at the Festival.
Our Grand Marshals this year will be in honor of the Wildland Fire Management Team who worked on the Slide Fire last year, with two of our very own representatives: Nicole Branton, USFS Red Rock District Ranger, and Sedona Police Chief Raymond Cota. The Camp Verde Calvary will be an equestrian Color Guard. Parade entries include dignitaries, color guards, bagpipers, bands, dancers, animals, plus a variety of vehicles and walking troupes. This year’s Parade entrants will be reviewed by our volunteer judges; who will choose the winning entries based on their self-selected award categories. Volunteer judges for the 2015 Parade include: Steve Conrad- Executive Director for the Boys & Girls Club of Flagstaff, Glorice Pavey- Assistant Director of Community Events for Flagstaff Recreation Services, and Darcie Flanders- Special Events Coordinator for Coconino County Parks and Recreation.Winners will be announced and awarded at the Festival after the Parade.
The Festival begins immediately following the Parade until 3 pm on Apple Avenue between Jordan Road and Cedar Street and in the parking lots of 350 Jordan Road and Sedona Meditation Center. Master of Ceremonies, John Conway will announce the Festival activities and Parade award winners from the stage at the corner of Jordan Road and Apple Avenue.Enjoy free fun family and children’s activities!A Festival opening ceremonial song will be performed by Pipe Major Michael Donelson and Bagpiper Martha Shideler, both from Southwest Skye Pipes and Drums. Meet and greet our top event sponsors. Festival food features Cowboy Club/Barking Frog Grille with sweet treats by Sedona Fudge Company for delectable decadence.
Free family fun and games include a Ki Gong demonstration by Sedona Meditation Center, dance lesson by Light Body Fitness and hula hoop lessons, bean bag and ring tosses, table hockey and fishing challenge games, and free-standing speed bag trainers. Make your mark with the Paint ‘N Play, community coloring murals and chalk art mandalas. Bring your camera for photo opportunities with Ditzy Glitzy and Hula Hoopsy clowns, Smokey the Bear, and a couple of leprechaun cut-outs. Get your face painted by Olivia Morris of Natty Faces or Carol Hofford. Of course there are inflatables for various ages including a Bouncy Castle, Jousting Ring and new this year, an Obstacle Course.
Free parking is available in the Sedona Public Parking Lot in Uptown on Schnebly Road, which will be accessible only from SR 89A and Apple Avenue. Additional parking is also available in public parking on Forest Road, at Sedona Red Rock News parking lot on Van Deren Road on weekends, and other designated public parking areas. Just follow the free public parking signs. Park once and enjoy the Parade & Festival as well as shopping, dining and entertainment all day and night throughout the Sedona Main Street District.
The Parade & Festival are made possible by the generous financial support of many businesses and organizations. This year’s sponsors include: Presenting Sponsors – Aspey, Watkins & Diesel and Cowboy Club/Barking Frog Grille; Over the Rainbow Sponsors – Sedona Fudge Company & Sedona Pines Resort; Pot O’ Gold Sponsors – Crystal Gratitude and PATRIOT Disposal, Inc.; Celtic Club Sponsors – Sterling Financial Services, LLC & Zainey’s Frozen Yogurt; Irish Green Club Sponsors – Arroyo Roble Resort, Best Western Plus Arroyo Roble Resort, Greenscape of Arizona and Matterhorn Inn; Shamrock Club Sponsors – Don E. Nelms Farmers Insurance Group, Johnson Insurance Services and Oaxaca Restaurante.
Please join us in giving thanks to them and to the many additional businesses and organizations including the City of Sedona, Larson Newspapers, Waste Management, Sedona Fire District, Sedona Voiceovers, Bill Lyons, Verve Events & Tents, Sedona Meditation Center, 350 Jordan Road, DiBattista Construction, Greenscape of Arizona, Wendy Phenom, Red Rock Magic Trolley, Schoolhouse Restaurant, Creative Printing & Copy Too, Whole Foods Natural Marketplace, Starbucks at Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Sedona Chamber of Commerce and several others who contribute or discount services to keep this traditional event alive. We are very grateful to our many volunteers who lend their time and talent to help make it all possible!
Come enjoy this celebration of our cultural heritage. This free community event is presented by Sedona Main Street Program, NAU Parks & Recreation Management Program. Visit www.sedonamainstreetprogram.com for information and photos after the event.
2015 Parade Dignitaries (as of 3/4)
- Parade Grand Marshals representing Slide Fire Team
- Sedona Police Chief, Raymond Cota
- USFS Red Rock District Ranger, Nicole Branton
- Sedona Mayor Sandy Moriarty
- Sedona Vice-Mayor, Mark DiNunzio
- Sedona City Council, Angela LeFevre
- Sedona City Council, John Martinez
- Sedona City Council, Scott Jablow
- Coconino County Board of Supervisors District 3, Matt Ryan
- Yavapai County Board of Supervisors District 2, Tom Thurman
- Cottonwood Mayor Diane Joens
- Camp Verde Mayor Charles German
2015 Parade Entrants (as of 3/5)
- Arizona State Parks
- Beth Messiah Messianic Congregation
- Bootleggers Saloon
- Camp Verde Cavalry
- Center for the New Age
- Chino Valley High School Cougar Band
- City of Sedona Volunteer Park Rangers
- Classic Treasures Car Club
- Creative Printing & Copy Too
- Dennis Knill for President
- Flagstaff Kennel Club – K-9 Drill Team
- Greater Sedona Substance Abuse Committee
- Humane Society of Sedona
- Kirkpatrick for Arizona
- National Day of the Cowboy
- NAU Parks & Recreation
- Northern AZ Celtic Heritage Society
- Northern AZ Veteran’s Military Honor Color Guard
- Oak Creek Chapter, National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution
- Patriot Disposal, Inc.
- PFLAG – Sedona-Verde Valley
- Pink Jeep Tours
- Potter’s Hand Productions
- Red Rock Western Jeep Tours/A Day in the West
- Rio Verde Roverettes
- Second Chance Center for Animals
- Sedona Car Club
- Sedona Center for Positive Living Sedona
- Sedona Cub Scouts
- Sedona Fire District
- Sedona Fudge Company
- Sedona Girl Scouts Arizona Cactus Pine
- Sedona Heritage Museum
- Sedona Main Street Program
- Sedona Meditation Center
- Sedona Pines Resort
- Sedona Red Rock Newspaper
- Sedona United.com
- Sedona Verde Valley Pride
- Solid Rock Church International Ministries
- Southwest Skye Pipes & Drums
- Sterling Financial Services, LLC
- Sun Signs
- Trinity Tan
- Two Sister Clowns with the Pot of Gold
- Verde Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Yavapai Apache Royalty Court
- Young Life
- Zainey’s Frozen Yogurt