Clarkdale AZ (January 19, 2018) – On Thursday January 18, at approximately 10:14 PM, the Verde Valley Fire District responded to a Residential Fire at the 500 block of First North Street in Clarkdale.
VVFD was originally dispatched to the for a “smell of plastic burning” in the area. On arrival they found Clarkdale PD on scene and smoke billowing out of the attic and roof vents from a home. They upgraded to a working fire and made entry where they found smoke filling the structure from floor to ceiling. The first in crew found the fire located in the kitchen and extinguished the flames. They then began to vent the structure and started a rapid search to see if anyone was in the residence. Cottonwood Fire and Medical Department arrived and assisted with the primary search as well as checking for extension of fire into the attic. The fire was confined to the area of origin with no further extension.
No one was in the home at the time of the incident but unfortunately two family pets expired due to smoke inhalation. The resident was required to be relocated.
Other agencies responding to this call included: Clarkdale Police, Cottonwood Fire and Medical Department, Verde Valley Ambulance Company, the Arizona Crisis Team, APS, and Unisource.