Verde Valley AZ (June 27, 2018) – The 4th of July is coming soon and Lost Dogs Arizona wants to remind pet owners to keep their pets safe during 4th of July celebrations. More pets are lost around the 4th of July than any other time of the year in our state. Arizona animal shelters typically see an increase of 2 to 3 times the number of animals needing shelter. Many pets that get lost during this time get injured or worse. Many communities hold fireworks days before, and even days after, the actual July 4th holiday. Pets are at risk any time the fireworks can be heard so owners need to be aware of when fireworks are planned for the community and do the following to keep pets safe:
- Do not bring pets to fireworks events.
- Keep pets at home in a secure environment. Ideally, this would be an enclosed area inside. Pets have been known to climb fences, dig under enclosures and even break through windows and doors trying to escape.
- Use a TV, Radio or “white noise” to mask loud noises.
- Check your pet’s ID tag now to make sure the information is current, and the tag and collar are secure.
- Make sure your pet is microchipped. Contact the microchip company to make sure the information they have on file for you is correct.
If your pet is lost, contact your county’s animal shelter for information and to search for your lost pet. For dogs, information is available at www.LostDogsArizona.org. Lost Dogs Arizona, in partnership with Helping Lost Pets, provides resources for owners and finders of lost dogs, emailed alerts, flyers and listings on social media and on a searchable map; all provided free as a service to the community to help lost dogs get home. File lost/found pet reports at www.HelpingLostPets.com.