Verde Valley AZ (June 13, 2017) – As the holiday approaches, Lost Dogs Arizona wants to remind pet owners to keep their pets safe during 4th of July celebrations. More pets are lost around the 4th of July than any other time of the year in our state. Loud noises can cause many pets to panic and run away, escaping normally secure environments. Arizona animal shelters typically see an increase of 2 to 3 times the number of animals needing shelter. Many pets that get lost during this time get injured or worse.
Remember that many communities hold fireworks days before July 4th. Be aware of when fireworks are planned for your community and do the following to keep your pets safe:
• Do not bring pets to fireworks events.
• Keep pets at home in a secure environment they cannot escape from. Ideally, this would be an enclosed area inside. Pets have been known to climb fences, dig under enclosures and even break through windows and doors trying to escape.
• Use a TV, Radio or “white noise” to mask loud noises.
• Check your pet’s ID tag and make sure the information is current and the tag and collar are secure.
• Make sure your pet is microchipped. Contact the microchip company to make sure the information they have on file for you is correct.
If your pet is lost, contact your county’s animal shelter for information. Lost or Found pet reports can be filed at www.HelpingLostPets.com. For dogs, more information and resources are available at www.LostDogsArizona.org. Lost Dogs Arizona, in partnership with Helping Lost Pets, provides resources for owners and finders of lost dogs, emailed alerts, flyers and listings on social media and on a searchable map; all provided free as a service to the community to help lost dogs get home.