Flagstaff AZ (May 27, 2014) – Due to increasing fire danger, the Coconino and Kaibab National Forests will implement Stage II fire restrictions effective Friday (5/30) at 8 a.m.
On the Kaibab National Forest, restrictions will apply only to the Williams and Tusayan Ranger Districts. Fire restrictions will not yet be implemented on the North Kaibab Ranger District due to different weather and fuels conditions.
These additional fire restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire.
Stage II fire restrictions prohibit the following:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire, including fires in developed campgrounds and improved sites.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
- Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations.
- Operating any internal combustion engine from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
Exemptions to the restrictions include the following:
- Using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.
- Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
- Operating motorized vehicles in compliance with forest Travel Management regulations.
Know Before You Go! The public can obtain additional fire information via the following:
- Arizona Fire Restrictions http://firerestrictions.us/az/
- Arizona Fire Prevention & Information (fire restrictions & red flag alerts) http://wildlandfire.az.gov/
- Fire Restrictions on Public Lands in Arizona and New Mexico 1-877-864-6985
- Coconino NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/coconino
- Kaibab NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab