Sedona AZ (May 12, 2016) – This summer, with the opening of the Sedona Community Pool on Saturday, May 21, 2016, the city of Sedona’s Department of Parks and Recreation Department will provide a wide range of programming, including the following.
- Swimarama is a fun, pre-competition swimming program for children to come and swim three times a week, learn the different strokes, dive for coins, play sharks and minnows, and get a small taste of what it might be like to join the Sedona Swordfish Swim Team. Three sessions will be offered with the first one beginning on June 6, 2016. The cost is $40 per person, and the class is for children 6 years or older who can swim the length of the 25-yard pool.
- Swim for Fitness is designed for adult lap swimmers ages 18 and above. This program will help adults who enjoy lap swimming and want to increase their fitness levels and improve their stroke technique. Two sessions will be offered with the first one beginning on June 1, 2016. The cost is $40 per person.
- Learn-to-Swim is a six-step program that provides a comprehensive introduction to water skills for children ages 3 years and older. All classes are taught by our Red Cross Certified water safety instructors. Four sessions will be offered, each lasting two weeks. The cost is $35 per child. Registration for the first session will begin on June 2, 2016 and the first session will begin on June 6, 2016.
- Adult Swim Lessons are designed for adults who have a fear of the water, have never had the opportunity to learn to swim or just want to feel more relaxed around water. The cost is $35 per adult. Two sessions will be offered, with the first one beginning on June 6, 2016. Registration for the first session will begin on June 2, 2016.
- Parent-and-Child Lessons is a program for children between the ages of 6 months and 5 years and their parents, to participate in guided sessions that help children learn the elementary skills of water safety and water adjustment, and is a pre-cursor to the Learn-to-Swim program. This program will be offered in four, two-week sessions. The cost is $35 per child. Registration for the first session will open on June 2, 2016, and the first session will begin on June 6, 2016.
- Private Lessons for all ages are also available by appointment. Taught by a Red Cross Certified water safety instructor, the cost is $15 per person for a 30-minute lesson.
“All of this year’s pool programming will be great, but I’m particularly excited about our new programs I think will be popular: Swimarama for children who would like to see what swimming is all about, and Swim for Fitness for adults looking to refine their skills,” said Elizabeth Ginsberg, recreation and aquatics supervisor, city of Sedona.
Swimarama, Swim for Fitness and Adult Swim Lessons will be taught by Lauren Robinson. A retired middle school principal from Southbury, Conn., Robinson has over 40 years of experience teaching and coaching swimming.
The Sedona Community Pool is located at 570 Posse Ground Road in Posse Grounds Park, and will be open to the public Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The pool will be closed on Fridays. Admission prices are $2 for children (17 and under) and seniors (55 and up) and $3 for adults. The summer schedule will be in effect from May 21, 2016 to August 7, 2016. The pool will also offer free admission during Open Swim on Memorial Day and the July Fourth.
For more information on all of the pool programming including the Water Aerobics and Aqua Zumba programs, the full list of scheduling, and to register for these programs, please visit www.sedonaaz.gov/parks or call the city of Sedona Parks and Recreation office at 928-282-7098.