Sedona AZ (February 18, 2019) – A house fire in Sedona on Saturday afternoon, February 16, 2019, has temporarily displaced the family living there. Firefighters arrived to the single family dwelling on Sanborn Drive and found a fire confined to the back bedroom. Crews were able to suppress the fire quickly and with minimal damage to the rest of the structure.
“The family was not home at the time of the fire,” said Sedona Fire Marshal Jon Davis, “Luckily, the door to the back bedroom had been closed before they left. We teach people that the best thing they can do with a fire is to confine it. Close doors behind you when you leave and keep all doors closed when you are gone.” In this case, the doors inside were closed before the family left and kept the fire damage confined to one small room.
“While the room where the fire occurred won’t be habitable until after a complete restoration, the family should be able to occupy the rest of the house after some smoke clean-up takes place,” said Davis, “This is the perfect example of why it is so important to keep doors closed when you are sleeping or when leaving the house. Had the interior doors been left open, the entire structure would likely have been a total loss.”
Fire investigators determined that a damaged electrical cord that had become pinched between the floor and a toy basket was the cause of the fire. Resistive heating can occur when an electrical cord is compressed, which is why it is never a good idea to run electrical cords under carpets or through doors.
No injuries were reported during the blaze and damage is estimated at $20,000.