Flagstaff AZ (October 22, 2012) – Crews are planning to continue burning efforts tomorrow on the Victorine Project on the Mogollon Rim Ranger District. Due to unfavorable conditions – especially erratic winds – in the forecast, fire managers are foregoing burns in the Flagstaff area tomorrow. They continue to plan the small burn at Fort Valley for Wednesday.
For Tuesday, October 23
Victorine Project – 500 acres located approximately 5 miles southeast of Highway 87, 8 miles northeast of Blue Ridge Reservoir. Smoke will disperse to the north. Overnight residual smoke may be noticeable in the Blue Ridge communities. Fire managers are planning to continue burning in this project all week, with approximately 500 acres per day.
All prescribed fire activity is dependent on personnel availability, weather – including winds and ventilation, and approval from the ADEQ (www.azdeq.gov).
Fire managers make every effort to minimize smoke impacts to the communities while continuing to address the critical need to reduce the risk of severe wildfires around those communities. Tactics to keep smoke impacts as minimal as possible include canceling approved burns when conditions aren’t favorable, finding alternative uses for the debris in slash piles, timing daytime ignitions to allow the majority of smoke time to disperse prior to settling overnight, and burning larger sections at a time when conditions are favorable to reduce the overall number of days smoke is in the area.
In addition, the Coconino National Forest coordinates prescribed fire plans with the partners of the Ponderosa Fire Advisory Council (which includes state and local fire departments), as well as neighboring forests, to reduce the impact of smoke on the communities.
The public can obtain additional prescribed fire information via the following:
- Prescribed Fire Hotline: 928-226-4607
- Coconino National Forest Website: www.usda.gov/coconino
- Click on “Prescribed Fire” on the right of the page
- Sign-up for regular email notifications of planned burns: http://www.fs.fed.us/news/subscription
- Choose “Southwestern Region”
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/CoconinoNF
- Local Ranger Stations: Flagstaff Ranger District, 928-526-0866; Red Rock Ranger District (Sedona) 928-203-2900; Mogollon Rim Ranger District (Blue Ridge) 928-477-2255