No full closures scheduled for construction, maintenance projects
Phoenix AZ (December 22, 2018) – The Arizona Department of Transportation is working to keep state highways clear for drivers during or between the Christmas and New Year’s weekends.
Although some state highway work will continue through the end of the year, ADOT won’t schedule any full closures for construction or maintenance between Friday night, Dec. 21, and Wednesday morning, Jan. 2.
Drivers should be prepared for any existing highway work zone restrictions, be patient and obey speed limits, since speeding is a leading cause of crashes. To encourage smart driving decisions, ADOT’s electronic highway signs at times will display holiday-themed safety messages.
Because unexpected delays can occur due to crashes, disabled vehicles and weather, motorists traveling during the Christmas and New Year’s holidays should:
- Pack extra drinking water and snacks
- Avoid the busiest travel times, if possible
- Get plenty of rest before driving – drowsy driving is unsafe
- Never drive while impaired – arrange for a designated driver or ride service
- Check vehicles, including tire pressure, engine belts and fluid levels
- If traveling to the high country, pack an emergency preparation kit in your vehicle that includes cold-weather clothes and blankets
Winter driving safety tips, including a list of items to have in an emergency prep kit, are available via azdot.gov/KnowSnow. Real-time highway conditions are available on ADOT’s Arizona Traveler Information site at az511.gov, by calling 511 and through ADOT’s Twitter feed, @ArizonaDOT. When a freeway closure or other major traffic event occurs, our free app available at ADOTAlerts.com will send critical information directly to app users in affected areas – where possible, in advance of alternate routes.